SHOTS RING OUT ON SET OF 50 CENT & TEKASHI69 MUSIC VIDEO FILMING

BROOKLYN, NY

50 Cent, Tekashi69, and a few other big names in rap found themselves in harm’s way when someone drove by the set of the video they were filming in Brooklyn, and licked off at least 11 shots before they sped off and disappeared into the night.

TMZ (@tmz) reported, the shooting happened around 10:30 pm in Brooklyn as the rappers were filming a video. Rappers Casanova and Uncle Murda were also on set to make an appearance in the video. A white Porsche that allegedly had New Jersey license plates rolled up, and at least one shooter began letting off shots from the vehicle. No one was hit in the shooting. Police found at least 11 shell casings at the scene and said the shooter likely used a 9mm semi-automatic in the shooting. Police are reviewing surveillance video from the scene. So far, there are no suspects or motives. No word on if one of the rappers were the target of the shooter, or someone else at the video shoot.

Advertisements

BET CANCELS “THE RUNDOWN WITH ROBIN THEDE” AFTER ONE SEASON

BET has cancelled its only late-night talk show after just one season. The Rundown with Robin Thede was a mix of politics, news, and comedy all wrapped into one, and more importantly, hosted by a black woman. Something BET claims to want more of as they push shows like “Black Girls Rock.”

Thede’s Rundown was the only late-night show currently on television hosted by a black woman. Variety Magazine (@variety) reported, that the show started off strong and drew rave reviews, but somewhere along the lines ratings must’ve dropped off, leading to BET’S decision not to renew the show. Even though this Robin Thede show is coming to an end at BET, the network says that they will continue to work with her in the future.

“At this time BET Networks has decided not to renew ‘The Rundown with Robin Thede.’ We have so much love and respect for our Unicorn and look forward to finding ways to continue in partnership with Robin.” BET said in a statement.

I can’t lie. If it were me, I’d be salty. One season is not really enough time to know what a show is going to be. I understand the ratings game, but the cancellation after just one season seems a little premature to me. Thede is clearly a better person than I am. She wasn’t salty about the cancellation. Thede seemed to be more thankful for the opportunity.

“I’m thankful that BET took a chance on me and the show. I’m already in development on several other projects and I’m looking forward to hosting the TCA Awards on August 4th.” Thede told Variety Magazine in a recent interview.

SAY BYE-BYE TO LAWRENCE. ISSA IS MOVING ON IN SEASON 3

It’s kind of hard for me to imagine HBO’s hit show “Insecure” without Issa’s long-term boo Lawrence somewhere in the mix. I thought the two might reconcile in season 3. Even if they didn’t, my expectations were that Lawrence would be in season 3 in some type of way. Especially when you consider that Lawrence’s every move last season was examined and broken down to its very smallest detail on Twitter by fans of the show. I’m honestly stumped by this move. It’s almost like if Ned Stark were no longer on Game Of Thrones. Or if Omar were no longer on The Wire….oh wait. Both of those things did happen….and the shows lived on afterward. So will Insecure after Lawrence….even though I’m kind of sad to see him go. I used to enjoy the Monday morning arguments and “fake deep” – “thought-pieces” about how Lawrence was representative of every black man who has ever walked planet Earth.

Shadowandact.com (@shadowandact) reports, Jay Ellis’ character Lawrence will not be making an appearance in season 3. Issa Rae’s character Issa, is reportedly moving forward in her relationship with her new/old bae Daniel. Insecure creator Issa Rae explained the decision to move away from “the Lawrence theme” for season 3.

“We want to stay as true to life as possible. They (Issa & Lawrence) had a great conversation at the end of season 2. And it was just about like; hey, she’s moving on with Daniel. Sometimes we have those conversations. You never see the exes again. And it’s ok! You gotta explore life without Lawrence.” Rae said during Insecure Fest earlier this week in Los Angeles.

Season 3 of Insecure will premiere August 12th on HBO. How do you feel about Lawrence being gone? Will you still be watching?

MIA FESTIVAL TO BE MOVED FROM PHILLY’S PARKWAY. JAY-Z & ROC NATION NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT

PHILADELPHIA, PA

The “Made In America” concert and festival which has become an annual huge deal in the city of Philadelphia, is reportedly searching for a new home after this year, according to a statement from Philly Mayor Jim Kenney’s Deputy Communications Director this morning.

“This is the last year MIA (Made In America) will be held on the Parkway.” Com. Director Sarah Reyes said in a statement to the Philadelphia Daily News and Inquirer.

Philly.com (@phillydotcom) reported that this years’ headlining acts are scheduled to be Nicki Minaj, Meek Mill, Post Malone, and Diplo.

The Labor Day Made In America festival has been held on the Ben Franklin Parkway in Philly’s Art Museum District since 2012. The annual event has always attracted huge names in the music industry. Roc Nation’s direct involvement in the festival certainly played a huge part in attracting acts like Rihanna, Kanye West, and the Queen B herself – Beyonce over the years, just to name a few. The festival has certainly brought a boost in economy for nearby businesses over the years with all of the traffic in town for the weekend concert also. So why would the Mayor want to move a concert that has done so many positive things for the city?

Unofficial word on the street is complaints of too much noise and traffic in the area. It’s not set in stone that MIA will not be taking place in Philly next year, but Mayor Kenney’s office made it crystal clear that the concert will not be taking place on the Parkway anymore.

“When the festival first started, it was intended to provide a unique attraction to the city on the otherwise quiet Labor Day weekend. Over the years tourism has grown overall, and the need for an event of this scale at this location may no longer be necessary.” Reyes said in a statement.

Roc Nation seemed to be blindsided by the announcement from the Mayor’s office.

“We are disappointed that the Mayor of Philadelphia would evict us from the heart of the city, through a media outlet, without a sit-down meeting, notice, dialogue, or proper communication. We consider this stance a failure on the Mayor’s part.” Roc Nation founder Jay-Z said in a statement.

It’s not clear if Roc Nation will search for a new location in the city for the festival or leave the city altogether. Hopefully the two sides can come to an agreement of some sort. The MIA concert has become an annual event that many in the city have come to look forward to every year.