Los Angeles, CA
Rapper Soulja Boy was taken into custody at a court appearance earlier this month and charged with violating the terms of his probation after cops raided his home and found ammunition. Cops originally went to his home investigating a woman’s claims that Soulja Boy had her tied up in his home. Possessing ammunition or a weapon is a violation of Soulja’s Boy’s 2014 probation from a gun charge. Soulja Boy remained in custody as he awaited his court date to find out his fate. On Tuesday morning the judge gave his decision. After claiming to have considered slapping Soulja with as much as a 2-year stay at the County Jail, the judge settled on a 240-day jail sentence, according to TMZ (@tmz)
Soulja Boy was also sentenced to serve 265 days of community service upon release. The judge gave Soulja 40 days credit for time already served. So he’s probably looking at a September – November release date. I’m not sure if he should be happy, sad, or angry right now. All things considered, his sentence could’ve been a lot worse. At least he’ll be out before the year is over.
LOS ANGELES, CA
Former Death Row co-founder, Suge Knight, is looking at, what’s known in jails and prisons across the country, as “football numbers”, after pleading guilty to a charge of manslaughter stemming from an incident that left one man dead.
Big Suge is looking down the barrel of a 28-year prison sentence when he goes back in front of a judge on October 4, to officially be sentenced. NBC News (@NBCNews) reports, Suge Knight’s latest legal troubles stem from a 2015 incident at a promotional shoot for the Straight Outta Compton movie. Knight ran over 2 men with his truck outside of Tam’s Burgers. Terry Carter, 55 and Cle “Bone” Sloan, 51 were plowed down as Knight recklessly reversed out of the parking lot. Carter died from his injuries. Sloan survived. Knight had originally argued that his life was in danger at the time and he had no intentions of running anyone over. Knight said Carter was a friend of his. Prosecutors argued otherwise. They say Knight had a confrontation with people affiliated with the movie earlier that same day, and had come back looking for trouble. On Thursday, Knight decided not to fight the case, and pled guilty to the manslaughter charge. He also requested a new attorney. When he goes back for sentencing in October, Knight will be represented by his fifteenth (15) different lawyer since this trial started.
At 53-years old, a 28-year prison sentence is something I don’t see Suge coming home from. 28-years is a long time….unless there’s some parole involved. If this in fact, the end of the line for Suge Knight, it is a very strange ending to a story that involved the man who played a huge role in arguably the best era of music hip-hop has ever seen. Not really a surprising ending, considering all of the dirt Suge was alleged to have done in his lifetime, but……strange.
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY, CA
TMZ (@tmz) is reporting that rapper Mac Miller has passed away. The rapper was reportedly found dead in his home around noon on Friday. Mac’s death is reportedly contributed to an overdose. It’s not clear what drug was the cause of his death, but TMZ reported that Mac has had recent issues with addiction. There are no further details at this time.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA
A jury, on Friday, awarded a $289 million judgement to a former school groundskeeper who said the weed killing product “Roundup” was the cause of his terminal cancer.
CNN (@cnn) reported, the plaintiff in the case, 46-year old, Dewayne Johnson is the first of more than 800 plaintiffs suing Roundup and its parent company, Monsato. Johnson’s case was first to go to trial because of his terminal diagnosis. In California, dying patients can be granted expedited trials. Johnson was awarded $250 million in punitive damages, and another $39 milli in compensatory damages.
Monsanto said they stand by research that says their product, Roundup, does not cause cancer.
“We will appeal this decision and continue to vigorously defend this product, which has a 40-year history of safe use and continues to be a vital, effective and safe tool for farmers and others.” Monsanto Vice President, Scott Partridge said.
Johnson was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2014. Johnson said he used the weed killer around 20-30 times per year. Johnson says he had two accidents when he got soaked with the product. The first incident happened in 2012. Johnson currently has lesions that cover over 80% of his body. “On bad days he’s too crippled to even speak.” Said Johnson’s lawyer, Timothy Litzenburg. Litzenburg said that while the money won’t help Johnson live any longer, it will help put his mind at ease. Johnson’s wife currently works two full-time jobs to make ends meet because of Johnson’s condition.
He’s going to live the rest of that time in comfort.” Litzenburg said.