Leaders of the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania are being accused of covering up child sexual abuse by more than 300 priest over a period of 70 years.
The New York Times (@NYTimes) reports, the church persuaded victims not to report the abuse. The church also persuaded police not to investigate the accusations.
The startling accusations are part of a report by a grand jury that was made public on Tuesday. The report covers 6 of the 8 Catholic Dioceses in the state. The report found more than 1000 identifiable victims of abuse at the hands of the church.
One of the charges in the report allege that a priest raped a young girl in the hospital as she recovered after having her tonsils removed. Another claim speaks of a priest who was allowed to remain in the ministry after it was discovered he impregnated a 17-year old girl, forged a signature on a marriage certificate, then divorced her.
“Priest were raping little boys and girls, and the men of God who were responsible for them not only did nothing; they hid it all. For decades.” The Grand Jury wrote in the report.
The Grand Jury’s report says church officials were so expectant of claims of the raping of children, that they devised a playbook for when the accusations would inevitably arise: 1) minimize the abuse by using words like “inappropriate contact” instead of “rape.” 2) Assign priests who were untrained in sex abuse cases to investigate the claims made. And 3), if it came down to having to remove an accused priest….don’t inform the community or public of the true reason for the removal.
“They protected their institution at all costs. As the grand jury found, the church showed a complete disdain for victims.” Attorney General, Josh Shapiro said in a news conference.
Disgraced Hollywood honcho, Harvey Weinstein was arraigned on Friday morning in a New York City courtroom and charged with first and third degree rape and committing a criminal sexual act in the first degree. His arrest and charges comes seven months after multiple women first came forward with allegations against Weinstein.
Media mogul Harvey Weinstein is seen leaving the NYPD 1st Precinct after surrendering himself in New York, NY on May 25, 2018. (Photo by Albin Lohr-Jones)(Sipa via AP Images)
CNN (@cnn) reports, the charges filed this morning stem from two separate incidents involving two separate women. One happened in 2004, the other in 2013, the Manhattan District Attorney said in a statement. Weinstein attorney Benjamin Braffman disagreed with the District Attorney’s assessment.
“Mr. Weinstein has always maintained that he has never engaged in non-consensual sexual behavior with anyone. Nothing about today’s proceedings changes Mr. Weinstein’s position. He has entered a plea of not guilty and fully expects to be exonerated.” Braffman said in a statement after the arraignment.
As part of the agreement between Weinstein attorney, Braffman and the District Attorney, Weinstein’s bond was set at $10 million. He’ll also be required to wear a GPS monitoring system and is only allowed to travel within New York state or Connecticut. Weinstein was also ordered to surrender his passport.
ST. MICHAEL, ALASKA
In ” this is the craziest stuff you’re probably going to read today” news, a woman in Alaska allegedly hired a rape/hitman….rapeman for hire???? To do what he does best to a guy that owed her money for weed and liquor.
People Magazine (@people) reports, A 30-year old Alaska woman has been accused of ordering the rape last year of a man who allegedly owed her money for weed and booze.
The woman, now identified as Julia Haworth, remains in custody on one count of solicitation of sexual assault and one count of first-degree sexual assault.
Investigators believe Haworth told a male friend of hers she would give him a bottle of booze if he raped the other man, who she said owed her $15,000. Money the borrower alleged spent on booze and weed. The friend carried out the job. The debtor was raped in April of 2017, according to court records. The man accused of carrying out the sexual assault has been identified as 24-year old, Austin Matthias. Just like Haworth, Matthias is currently in the slammer, charged with two felony counts of first degree sexual assault.
The Anchorage Daily, reported that the victim told cops all he remembered was being punched in the face by Matthias. When he awoke later, he was sore all over. Doctors determined the man’s nose had been broken and that he’d been sexually assaulted. Prosecutor, Tom Jamgochian called the crime a “contract rape.”
72-year old, Joseph James Deangelo, an ex-police officer, has been arrested in Sacramento in a decades-long search for the “Golden State Killer” who terrorized California communities in the 1970’s and 80’s with a series of murders and rapes, according to reports.
USA Today (@USAToday) reports, The elusive, masked killer, also known as The East Area Rapist, and The Original Night Stalker, is believed to have killed 12 people, raped 45 people, and ransacked more than 100 area homes.
Sacramento County jail records show that a man identified as Joseph James Deangelo, was arrested and charged early Wednesday with two counts of murder. He was arrested under a warrant from the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department, according to the jail’s records.
FBI and California officials last year renewed their search for a suspect in the cases and announced a $50,000 reward for an arrest and conviction.
Armed with a gun, the masked rapist would break into homes while single women or couples were sleeping. He would tie the man up and pile dishes on his back, then rape the woman while threatening to kill them both if the dishes tumbled.